Intro | Vegas Home | Conf/Event Reg | Speakers | Hotel | Schedule | Sponsors | Sponsor PDF | Contact
This information last updated 10/5/16 Watch for further updates -- Speaker Schedule (PDF)
Facebook: Facebook.com/PublicDefenderRetreat -- Twitter: Twitter.com/PDVegasRetreat Use Hashtag #PDLVR
Tuscany Suites Location: 255 E Flamingo Rd, Las Vegas, NV 89169 • www.TuscanyLV.com
• Thurs Night - Mar 30 - 8pm-? - Informal Pre-Retreat Get-Together - Cabo Wabo Cantina patio in front of the Miracle Mile Shops at Planet Hollywood Resort. About 1 mile from Tuscany.
• Fri Afternoon - Mar 31 - Anytime between 1pm & 4pm - Retreat Sign-In - Florentine Rm at Tuscany. Pick up Retreat handout materials, name badge, certificate of attendance, & show tickets (if applicable).
• Fri Evening - Mar 31 - Anytime between 4pm & 7pm - Retreat Welcome Party - Florentine Rm at Tuscany. Hors d'oeuvres & some free drinks for attendees & guests plus cash bar. One in your party must have a Retreat name badge.
• Fri Night - Mar 31 - 9pm-10:30pm - "It's Vegas!" Event: Las Vegas Live Comedy Club - V Theater in Miracle Mile Shops at Planet Hollywood Hotel. Order tickets with your Conf/Events Registration. About 1 mile from Tuscany.
• Sat Morning/Afternoon - Apr 1 - 8am-5:15pm - MCLE/CLE* Speakers - Florentine Rm at Tuscany.
8am-8:30am - Dave Rendahl - Retreat Organizer, Retired Supervising Attorney; Visalia, California - Retreat Sign-In; welcome announcements; coffee, donuts, muffins, juice, etc; & pick up your Retreat materials.
8:30am-9:30am - Michael J. Kennedy, J.D. - Attorney, Law Office of Michael J. Kennedy Attorney; Indio, California - ” Winning & Intimidating With Motions: Win Your Case Before They Know What Hit Them” (1 hr MCLE)
9:30am-10:30am - Justice P. Andras Schreck - Ontario Court of Justice; Brampton, ON, Canada - “Is a Court / Bench Trial Beneficial for the Defence; Tips on Preparing and Presenting Your Case to the Judge Rather than a Jury?” (1 hr MCLE)
10:30am-10:40am - Morning Break
10:40am-12:10pm - Michael D. Edelson - Attorney, Edelson Clifford D’Angelo Friedman LLP; Ottawa, ON, Canada - “Cross Examination: The Art of the Defense” (1.5 hrs MCLE)
12:10pm-1:30pm - Lunch Break (on your own) - At Tuscany: Marilyn's 24 hr Cafe, Pub 365, & Caffè Bottega Coffee & Deli.
1:30pm-2:30pm - Sally Ann Perring - Dean of Academic Affairs, Retired, San Joaquin College of Law; Fresno, California - “Does the Eagle Know What is in the Pit: Ethical Issues in the Trenches for the Criminal Defense Attorney Part 1: Professional and Courtroom Conduct: Bias, Harassment, Civility, and Politics” (1 hr Ethics MCLE)
2:30pm-3:30pm - Michael D. Edelson - Attorney, Edelson Clifford D’Angelo Friedman LLP; Ottawa, ON, Canada - “Cross-Examining Police Witnesses: Thinking Outside the Tool Box” (1 hr MCLE)
3:30pm-3:40pm - Afternoon Break
3:40pm-5:10pm - Malorie Street - Attorney, Santa Clara Pub Def Office; San Jose, California - “How to Take a Gamble at a Mental Health Defense and Win Against the Odds: A Step by Step Approach on What you Need to Present These Defenses and How to Put it All Together” (1.5 hrs MCLE)
5:10pm-5:15pm - Dave Rendahl - Day 1 closing remarks & announcements.
• Sat Evening - Apr 1 - 6pm-8pm? - "It's Vegas!" Event: 2017 World Defender Poker Championship - Poker Room at Mirage Hotel. Limited to 50 players. Sign up & pay entry fee with your Conf/Events Registration. About 1 1/2 miles from Tuscany.
• Sat Night - Apr 1 - 10:30pm-?? - "It's Vegas!" Event: Music & Dancing - 1 OAK Nightclub in the Mirage Hotel. Meet by the nightclub entrance in the hotel lobby at 10:30pm to go in as a group. Dress code enforced ("upscale chic" NO hats, T-shirts, chains, excessive jewelry, athletic wear, shorts, baggy attire, sunglasses, sndals/flats, or tennis shoes). ID (21+) required. Buy VIP entry, reserved seating, & some free drinks with your Conf/Events Registration. About 1 1/2 miles from Tuscany.
• Sun Morning - Apr 2 - 8:30am-1:15pm - MCLE/CLE* Speakers - Florentine Rm at Tuscany.
8:30am-9am - Dave Rendahl - Retreat Organizer, Retired Supervising Attorney; Visalia, California - Retreat Sign-In; welcome announcements; coffee, drinks, juice, etc; & pick up your Retreat materials.
9am-10am - Sally Ann Perring - Dean of Academic Affairs, Retired, San Joaquin College of Law; Fresno, California - “Does the Eagle Know What is in the Pit: Ethical Issues in the Trenches for the Criminal Defense Attorney Part 2: Competence and Special Duties” (1 hr Ethics MCLE)
10am-11am - Michael J. Kennedy, J.D. - Attorney, Law Office of Michael J. Kennedy Attorney; Indio, California - ”Winning DUI / DWI Cases: Find Your Legal Defenses (Field Sobriety, Breath, & Blood Tests) & Overcome Political Pressure (MADD, Juror Bias, Angry Judges / Prosecutors)” (1 hr MCLE)
11am-11:10am - Morning Break
11:10am-12:10pm - Justice P. Andras Schreck - Ontario Court of Justice; Brampton, ON, Canada - “Attack, Discredit, Turn it Around; Challenging the Prosecution’s Expert Evidence” (1 hr MCLE)
12:10pm-1:10pm - Antony Ufland - Attorney, Orange County Alternate Defender Office; Santa Ana, California - “Lawyers, Guns, and Money: the Sh*t has Hit the Fan” (1 hr MCLE)
1:10pm-1:15pm - Dave Rendahl - Day 2 closing remarks & future Retreat information.
• Sun Night - Apr 2 - 8pm-? - Informal Post-Retreat Get-Together - In the recently remodeled Drai's Indigo Lounge at the back of the casino in Bally's Hotel. Less than 1 mile from Tuscany.
* This activity has been approved for MCLE credit by the Nevada Board of CLE and the State Bar of California in the amount of 11 hours (with 2 of those hours in ethics). We routinely get CLE pre-approval in a number of states/provinces, and provide the forms/info for CLE in all other jurisdictions. We will assist any attendee with CLE credit in their jurisdictions. Contact Dave Rendahl at 1-559-827-7487 or Dave@PublicDefenderRetreat.com for MCLE/CLE info on your state or jurisdiction (no state has ever denied credit for prior Retreats).
For our Ontario, Canada attendees, the Law Society of Upper Canada has accredited us:
This program has been accredited by the Law Society for 2 hr 0 min Professionalism Content.
This program is also eligible for up to 9 hr 30 min Substantive Content.
© 2001 - 2016 David F. Rendahl, Public Defender Retreat. All rights reserved. Modified 11/5/16
Questions? Call Dave's cell at 1-559-827-7487 or email to Dave@PublicDefenderRetreat.com.